Fountain of the Acqua Paola : ” Er Fontanone ” …

Located just before the Porta San Pancrazio at the point where Via Garibaldi reaches one end of the Gianicolo, in one of the most romantic and evocative of Rome, overlooking a breathtaking view, stands the Fountain of the Acqua Paola, better known to the Romans as ” Er Fontanone .” This architectural splendor is the exhibition monumental aqueduct built by Paul V Borghese in 1600. Once elected, Pope Paul V ordered among other things also the arrangement of the ancient aqueduct of Trajan in such a way as to allow the water to bring in Rione Trastevere. The architects who devoted themselves to the implementation of the project were three, but the creation of the work took place through the mammoth undertaking of Flaminio Ponzio and Giovanni Fontana, after just three years, they managed to bring the water on the Gianicolo. As in the previous monument is small enough, even in the lower half of this is committed by arches, of which the three most central high and wide of the two sides, or slightly behind, all separated by columns placed on pedestals. The top half of the three central arches, instead of containing statues, is occupied by a large rectangular windows open, so as to promote albeit partial visibility of the botanical garden which at the time was behind the Fontanone. The top half of the monument, for the entire length of the three more niches, is occupied by a large entry:PAVLVS QVINTVS PONTIFEX MAXIMVS AQVAM IN AGRO BRACCIANENSI SALVBERRIMISE FONTIBVS COLLECTAM VETERIBVS AQVAE ALSIETINAE DVCTIBVS RESTITVTIS NOVISQVE ADDITIS XXXV AB MILLIARIO DVXIT. A clarification seems very proper, namely: enrollment in addition to celebrating the pope who had renovated the aqueduct and the fountain created, reports inexact states that lead to the Acqua Paola was restored the ancient aqueduct of the Alsietina, in reality the aqueduct to be put back into operation was that of Trajan. The registration is completed by another written under the frame of the attic: ANNO DOMINI MDCXII PONTIFICATVS SVI SEPTIMO. As was the custom of the time, much of the work was made ​​of marble extracted from the hole of Nerva, while the granite columns were removed from the old St. Peter’s Basilica that was built by the Emperor Constantine. Initially the Fontanone presented with five tanks at the arches. The original plan was that the water was collected in the five tanks placed at each arc, but in 1690 Pope Alexander VIII commissioned Carlo Fontana, grandson of John, the realization of a project to expand the work. The final version of Fontanone, still enjoyable, as well as the expansion of the central window, provided a large semicircular basin in a position to merge with the large terrace proceeds through terracing of the hill itself, and which until then was almost sheer. Nowadays the square, panoramic, provides visitors with a view to the many electrifying the Eternal City …



Scrivi un commento