The culture to the center…

Fontana dei Libri_wp_4Between the Senate and the Pantheon, walking away in the current of Staderari (oldest manufacturers of scales, weigh batching of Roman origin based on the principle of the lever), a time because of the ‘University in reference to that in the seventeenth century it was the seat of the’ University of Rome “La Sapienza”, impossible not to recognize the wonderful “Fountain of the Books.” Made in 1927 by Pietro Lombardi, this rare work commissioned the City of Rome is still today the emblem of the district Sant ‘Eustachio. The saint was an ancient Roman general who converted to Christianity after the appearance of a stag with a glowing cross between its horns, the symbol that also appears on the top of the church consecrated to him. The cross, here, consists of recordings that recall the name of the holy and the reference number of the ward dedicated to him, mistakenly reported as IV rather than VIII. Both elements, universities and appearance, were a source of inspiration for the young architect Lombardi. Framed in a niche surmounted by an arch on which is engraved the inscription SPQR, a stag’s head turned towards the observer symbol surrounded by four books of “La Sapienza” (University), two on each side, placed on two side shelves. The water flows towards the center of the fountain with two spouts placed on the upper two volumes, and to the outside by two side spouts below the books. A semicircular pond collects runoff water from the central spouts, while the water from the high two spouts falls directly in the manhole at street level …

Fontana dei Libri_particolare wp_1



Scrivi un commento